Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 4)

Should management of Juneau swimming pools change hands?

Should management of Juneau swimming pools change hands?Juneau voters next week will voice their opinions on whether an empowered board should run city swimming pools.

Annie Kaill’s to host emerging artists

Annie Kaill’s to host emerging artists Annie Kaill’s owner Colleen Goldrich says she wanted to do something a little different for this First Friday.

Tobacco tax before Petersburg voters

Tobacco tax before Petersburg votersA pack of smokes will cost another two bucks if a ballot measure passes in Petersburg.

Amid modern building construction, Tlingit carver keeps traditional method alive

Amid modern building construction, Tlingit carver keeps traditional method aliveWayne Price has been texturing hundreds of board feet of red cedar using just one tool – an adze

Gajaa Hit totem raising draws close to 500 spectators

Gajaa Hit totem raising draws close to 500 spectatorsClose to 500 community members gathered Monday to celebrate the raising of new Eagle and Raven totem poles at Gajaa Hit.

For UAS freshmen, lesson on sexual consent comes first

For UAS freshmen, lesson on sexual consent comes first"Consent for holding hands is not consent for a kiss. Consent for sex once is not consent for sex twice," Lori Klein says.

As students turn 18, some have real questions for the candidates

As students turn 18, some have real questions for the candidates"I just turned 18, so now I get to vote and I get to put my voice out there," says Chloe Varner.

Art is big business in Southeast Alaska

Art is big business in Southeast AlaskaWhat are the arts worth to Southeast Alaska? A new economic study says at least $60 million a year in business.

Feds investigate University of Alaska for how it deals with sexual assault

Feds investigate University of Alaska for how it deals with sexual assaultThe University of Alaska system is on a list of 79 post-secondary institutions around the nation being investigated, but university officials aren’t sure why.

A recap of Monday’s marijuana legalization hearing

A recap of Monday’s marijuana legalization hearingLt. Gov. Mead Treadwell held a public hearing Monday in the Capitol on the marijuana legalization initiative.