Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 4)

Moore claims lead in the Yukon Quest as top two head for Two Rivers

The race for the finish line is on after Brent Sass gave up a 10-hour lead Sunday on Allen Moore’s dog team.

School District settles with former teacher and coach

Bill Byouer receives $150,000 after his dismissal that stemmed from the Oregon boxing incident in 2012.

Juneau takes part in One Billion Rising

Juneau takes part in One Billion RisingThe event is a global movement to end violence against women and girls.

Wearable Art artist Bobbi McCutcheon

Wearable Art artist Bobbi McCutcheonThis will be artist Bobbi McCutcheon’s fourth year--her pieces can take up to a year to create and are made by hand, one bead at a time.

Layovers vital to Yukon Quest mushers, dogs

Layovers vital to Yukon Quest mushers, dogsAfter Yukon Quest mushers arrive in Dawson City, they drive their teams head across the Yukon River to a public campground, where handlers build elaborate camps for the dogs.

Ketchikan opposes state’s motion for a stay

Ketchikan opposes state’s motion for a stayThe state has filed for a stay with the Alaska Supreme Court pending the state’s appeal of a lower court ruling in the borough’s lawsuit challenging the required local contribution for public education.

No longer in crisis, Sitka Community Hospital status still ‘urgent’

No longer in crisis, Sitka Community Hospital status still ‘urgent’Sitka Community Hospital has a new CEO, a new CFO; about a million dollars on hand; and no plans to ask for more money from the city.

Wearable Art artist Michelle Morris

Wearable Art artist Michelle MorrisThis will be artist Michelle Morris's third year and her piece is called "Southeast Struggle."

Child sex abuse survivor wants to shatter the silence with Erin’s Law

Child sex abuse survivor wants to shatter the silence with Erin’s Law"I’m not just speaking on my own behalf. I’m speaking for tens of thousands of Alaska children. And what I’m saying is, ‘Help us,'" said David Holthouse.

Three weeks, no flights: Diomede residents stranded without mail, food deliveries

Three weeks, no flights: Diomede residents stranded without mail, food deliveriesThe only aircraft flying to one of Alaska’s most remote communities has been down for maintenance for nearly three weeks.