Juneau firefighters report that cooking oil was the cause of a brief kitchen fire at the Marine View Apartments at about 5:20 p.m. Sunday evening.
Capital City Fire and Rescue Division Chief Ed Quinto says the seventh-floor hallway was filled with smoke when firefighters arrived, but the fire was already out.
“It appears that the tenant was inside cooking some food with oil in a pan. The oil caught on fire,” recalled Quinto. “She proceeded to move the pan away from the stove. As she turned around, her napkin – which she was holding the pan with — also caught on fire. So, she ended up spilling the pan and the burning oil on to the rug.”
Quinto says the occupant left the apartment and another occupant of the apartment used an extinguisher to put out the fire.
The fire caused an estimated $4,000 worth of damage.
No injuries were reported.
- The totem pole is an icon of the Pacific Northwest. The carved art form showcases clan stories and family crests in museums around the world. After more than 30 years in the Anchorage Museum, a century-old pole from Southeast has made it back to Sitka, where curators are prepping a permanent home.
- One of the Sealaska regional Native corporation’s longest-serving leaders is stepping down. Rosita Worl says she will not run for another term after 30 years on the board.
- President Donald Trump’s budget outline calls for eliminating funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. The NEA has been a frequent target of Republicans, but U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski supports the endowment, and Tuesday she won the 2017 Congressional Arts Leadership Award.
- Ten years ago, Paul Manafort "secretly worked for a Russian oligarch who wanted him to promote Russian interests," the AP's Chad Day tells NPR.