Juneau firefighters report that cooking oil was the cause of a brief kitchen fire at the Marine View Apartments at about 5:20 p.m. Sunday evening.
Capital City Fire and Rescue Division Chief Ed Quinto says the seventh-floor hallway was filled with smoke when firefighters arrived, but the fire was already out.
“It appears that the tenant was inside cooking some food with oil in a pan. The oil caught on fire,” recalled Quinto. “She proceeded to move the pan away from the stove. As she turned around, her napkin – which she was holding the pan with — also caught on fire. So, she ended up spilling the pan and the burning oil on to the rug.”
Quinto says the occupant left the apartment and another occupant of the apartment used an extinguisher to put out the fire.
The fire caused an estimated $4,000 worth of damage.
No injuries were reported.
- “Part of this funding is set aside to address the needs that the president saw firsthand when he visited coastal communities in Alaska that are seeing their homelands eroding into the ocean at a rapid pace," said Deputy Interior Secretary Mike Connor.
- Gastineau Humane Society called the dog aggressive and not a viable candidate for adoption. The Juneau couple wishes they’d been notified before the dog was put down.
- Dan Henry, also operator of the Skagway Fish Co., said he would make a decision about his future with the Skagway Borough Assembly after he returns home.
- Musher Seth Barnes said early Monday that the last 100 miles of trail coming north to Circle "literally was perfect ... definitely the best trail I’ve been on all year.” His dogs had trained on gravel most of the winter.