While passing the west side of Juneau’s Shelter Island on Wednesday, an 18-passenger tour vessel saw more than just whales.
Audrey Benson, a naturalist with Gastineau Guiding Co., was on the tour when the crew got some news over the radio.
“We heard that there were two deer that were swimming across in the water,” Benson said. “So after we watched the whales for a bit our passengers were curious and wanted to see the deer, and so we motored over to them and it turns out there was only one.”
And it was struggling to stay above water. After a larger tour boat tried to rescue the animal a few times, it gave up. But Benson, along with the passengers and crew, decided to keep trying. They were eventually able to lasso the deer and pull it onto the boat.
“The deer was immediately bewildered and disoriented and it was shaking a lot, it was shivering a lot,” she said. “Its teeth were chattering. It tried to stand up but collapsed because it was so weak.”
The crew was able to drop the deer off at Shelter Island—but not before it tried to swim back into the water again.
“It was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen on any of my tours,” Benson said. “I mean, you never know what’s going to happen but for a deer rescue—I’ve never even been that close to a deer, I’ve never touched one—and to have an opportunity to assist this struggling animal, it was very intense.”
The other deer disappeared before the group reached it, and is presumed to have drowned.
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game said it’s very uncommon for deer to drown, adding that deer regularly swim from island to island.
- Water began draining from Suicide Basin into Mendenhall River Monday, but officials don’t yet know if it will cause flooding.
- Juneau members of Pioneers of Alaska dedicated a 10,000-pound slab of granite and quartz to remember the sinking of the SS Princess Sophia.
- The Alaska Journal of Commerce in January reported that Eastman told one of its reporters during an interview in April 2017 that a complaint had been filed against Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux.
- A fire that started on an unattended stovetop in Mendenhall Tower in downtown Juneau caused extensive water damage in the apartment complex. Some tenants say they're concerned the building isn't up to code and frustrated by the city's enforcement efforts.