Juneau police say they’re investigating a possible drug overdose that led to closure of the landfill and recycling center on Saturday morning.
Lt. Dave Campbell says firefighters also arrived at the Capitol Disposal facility on Tonsgard Court for what was initially a medical call.
A 46-year old male employee was found inside a bathroom by a coworker.
“They said it was kind of like a vanity bathroom with one toilet with a little sink and mirror station,” said Campbell.
No foul play is currently suspected.
Campbell says they did not ask that the entire landfill facility including the recycling center be closed on Saturday. That was something that the landfill operator did on its own.
A Waste Management employee answering calls on Monday morning referred all calls about incident to the Juneau Police Department.
Campbell says they’ve requested that the state medical examiner do an autopsy. It may take four- to eight-weeks before a toxicology report comes back.
The man’s relatives have already been notified. Campbell says the man’s name will not be released until the cause of death is confirmed.
- An email from Mike Satre of Hecla Greens Creek Mine prompted the resolutions referral back to committee. Satre urged the Assembly to work the issue through state and provincial levels rather than trying to invoke international treaties.
- PFDs would have been about $2,350 each, the highest dollar figure in dividend history.
- At a meeting held last week, the official citizens' oil spill watchdog group for Prince William Sound raised concerns about how new crews manning the vessels will be trained.
- Recent warm, dry weather in the interior has resulted in two late season wildfires. State Forestry reports sending fire fighters last night to a 1-acre blaze, located about a hundred miles northeast of Glennallen, near Chisana.