A New Search For 9/11 Victims’ Remains

People pass the World Trade Center construction site in New York. Debris from the fallen towers will be sifted for victims' remains beginning Monday. Mark Lennihan/AP

People pass the World Trade Center construction site in New York. Debris from the fallen towers will be sifted for victims’ remains beginning Monday. Mark Lennihan/AP

About 60 dump trucks full of debris from the fallen World Trade Center will be sifted for victims’ remains beginning Monday. The debris was collected for the past two and a half years from construction sites in the neighborhood.

The New York Daily News reports that family members of 9/11 victims received emails from New York City officials on Friday, alerting them to the 10-week, multi-agency operation that will take place at the city forensic unit on Staten Island. A memo attached to the email was from Deputy Mayor for Operations Caswell Holloway addressed to Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

“We will continue DNA testing until all recovered remains that can be matched with a victim are identified,” Holloway wrote in his memo.

NBC New York calculated that the debris amounted to 590 cubic yards.

“…38 from the WTC, 13 from the western edge of the southbound lanes of West Street and 539 from the Liberty Street area, where four pieces of possible human remains have already been found.”

USA Today reports that of the 2,750 people who died in the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, only 1,634 have been identified.

The city revitalized search efforts for victims’ remains in 2006 when bones were found in a manhole. Since then, 34 victims have been identified and 2,345 human remains have been found. The city medical examiner’s office is leading the operation.

 

Read original article

A New Search For 9/11 Victims’ Remains

Recent headlines

  • Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney. (Photo courtesy Whitehouse.gov)

    3 things for Alaskans to know about Trump’s budget

    President Trump is proposing to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling. That’s one detail from the budget the White House delivered to Congress Tuesday. The document fleshes out the “blueprint” released in March.
  • Regulators to hold hearing in Juneau over garbage contract transfer

    Juneau residents will have a rare opportunity this week to sound off over trash service. The company that runs curbside pick up has been acquired by Waste Connections, a Canada-based business with customers in 39 states and five provinces.
  • A few of the couple thousand walrus hauled out at Cape Grieg north of Ugashik Bay in June 2016. Alaska Department of Fish and Game and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service say the walrus are back this year, but have not said yet how many. (Photo by KDLG)

    Cape Greig walrus are back; Fish and Game plans change fishery boundary again

    The Department of Fish and Game will pull the north line of the Ugashik District back away from the haulout site again, Salomone said, the same as last year. The exact coordinates will be published with the first announcement from Fish and Game about June 1.
  • Navy to scan Kodiak waters for WWII explosives

    The Navy will scan Kodiak and Unalaska waters for World War II-era munitions using underwater drones next month, as part of an ongoing effort to eventually remove the explosives. What could happen and whether the historic weapons would detonate is unclear.
X