Anchorage port study confirms design, construction flaws
A draft study shows design and construction flaws with the port of Anchorage project. Officials with the firm CH2M HILL presented the study’s findings to the Anchorage Assembly and Mayor on Friday at City Hall.
Engineers paid to review the port debacle say, the main concern is that the work already done on the port would not hold up in a big earthquake, and that at the end of 50 years, it would be over-stressed and not meet safety standards. The clay soil in Cook Inlet, they say, presented a serious challenge to construction. Mayor Dan Sullivan acknowledged that it appears some of the work already done likely cannot be repaired.
The “Port of Anchorage Expansion Project” has been in the works for more than a decade. The Municipality of Anchorage partnered with the U.S. Department of Transportation Maritime Administration on the project. In 2003, construction got underway, then stalled around 2009 after serious construction problems came to light. Cost estimates skyrocketed. Upwards of 300 million public dollars have been spent on the project so far.
Dr. Larry McCallister is with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He says his offices will be coming up with several design concepts which they will be presenting this spring:
The Corps of Engineers concepts for how to move forward will be a part of a second study that will identify the most promising alternative design and should be available by March. Sullivan says that’s when his office will be able to put a price tag on the project. The only estimate he can give now is that it will cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
The Municipality has about $80 million on hand for the project and is set to receive another $50 million from a bond that was approved by voters on the Nov. 6 ballot.
- Port of Anchorage Briefing to Anchorage Assembly: Joint Statement (PDF)
- Port of Anchorage Expansion Project
- Summary of Findings report