Tuesday standoff ends in arrest of dead woman’s boyfriend

A Tuesday afternoon standoff ended after a Prince of Whales Island man was arrested in the death of a 27-year-old woman more than a week after she was found dead next to a trail near Klawock on the island.

Judylee Guthrie’s body was discovered July 31.

An arrest warrant charging Guthrie’s boyfriend, Albert Peter Macasaet III, 27, with first-degree murder was issued Tuesday.

Macasaet produced a gun and barricaded himself inside with his children and other adults when Alaska State Troopers arrived at his mother’s house to arrest him, according to court documents.

There was no information in court documents about how long the standoff lasted. Alaska State Troopers spokesman Tim DeSpain said Wednesday morning that he did not yet have the details.

According to the complaint filed in court by Ketchikan District Attorney Stephen West, Guthrie was killed after a night at the Hill Bar in Craig.

Video surveillance from the bar shows Guthrie and Macasaet leaving with two other people shortly after 3 a.m. July 31.

About 11:30 that morning, Macasaet called the Craig Police Department to report Guthrie missing, the complaint read. At about 5:30 p.m., he called again to say he was searching for Guthrie at the Sunnahae Trail. A half-hour later, Macasaet called a third time to report that he had found Guthrie’s body.

In the complaint, West writes that Guthrie’s body was not easily visible from the trail, and even with directions from Macasaet, searchers had a difficult time spotting her.

The State Medical Examiner’s Office performed an autopsy and confirmed Guthrie had been strangled to death.

Macasaet and Guthrie lived together in Hydaburg, and have children together. Macasaet also had a history of domestic violence arrests, including past incidents of choking Guthrie.

West notes that Guthrie was found with most of her possessions, but was missing one sandal and her phone, items allegedly found in the vehicle Macasaet was driving.

Macasaet is being held without bail pending arraignment.

According to the Craig District Court, he was transported to the Ketchikan jail, and his hearings will take place at the Ketchikan courthouse.

An arraignment hearing has not yet been scheduled.

Site notifications
Update notification options
Subscribe to notifications