Prosecutors ask for John Marvin Jr.’s bail set at $1M

One-million dollars bail set for the Hoonah man accused of shooting and killing two police officers.

John Marvin, Jr., 45, appeared in Juneau District Court on Tuesday. He was escorted by a state trooper and a judicial services officer, and dressed in red prison pants and shirt, and slip-on shoes with his hands & feet cuffed and chained.

District Attorney Doug Gardner says he doesn’t routinely ask for such a high bail amount. He justified it by saying the shooting of Officers Tony Wallace and Matt Tokuoka was an “unprovoked slaying.” Both officers did not even contact Marvin Saturday night and were — instead – socializing with their own family members. Tokuoka was off-duty, and had his two children with him. Wallace’s mother, Debbie Greene, was doing a ride along with her son as he patrolled Hoonah’s streets.

Marvin also has a criminal record including a conviction for sexual abuse of a minor in 1993.

Magistrate John Sivertsen attempted to explain to Marvin his rights. but Marvin did not appear to be very responsive.

At least twice he blurted out “I’m John McMartin Royal.”

Then, after Magistrate Sivertsen read the charging documents, Marvin repeatedly asked “Who’s treating Officer Wallace?”

In what appeared to be a brief moment of partial frustration, Magistrate Sivertsen replied “I don’t know. I think he’s dead.”

Marvin was appointed a public defender who did not immediately oppose the high bail amount.  Assuming that Marvin can come up with the million dollars, he will also likely have a third-party custodian appointed.

Sivertson advised Marvin that, if convicted, he would face a minimum of 99-years in prison for each charge of murder of a police officer.

Tuesday’s court hearing was also attended by sullen members of the District Attorney’s office – a few of whom were visible upset —  plus half-a-dozen Juneau police officers, state troopers from the Juneau post, and other courthouse staff.

Marvin’s next court appearance in Juneau District Court is September 8th unless a grand jury returns with a bill of indictment. Then, Marvin will be arraigned in Juneau Superior Court.

In what may be a ironic twist of fate, an apparent act of conciliation by Officers Wallace and Tokuoka may have been repaid with the loss of their life.

District Attorney Doug Gardner explained in court Tuesday that Marvin last had a run-in with the very same officers as they responded to a call of an intruder in August of last year. Marvin was charged with criminal trespass, resisting arrest, and two courts of assault on a police officer. Those charges were later dismissed –Gardnersays – at the request of Wallace and Tokuoka. Marvin had already spent four months in jail waiting for his case to move forward and the officers felt it was time to “move on.”

Marvin’s criminal history goes back nearly 20-years. He was ticketed for set of traffic offenses last January in Hoonah, including driving a vehicle without an operator’s license and failing to license and register his vehicle. He pled no contest to those violations.

Court records indicate that he also pled no contest to furnishing alcohol to a minor in Hoonah in July of 2006.

Marvin also had a dust-up with Juneau Police in July of 1991. He pled no contest to a domestic violence assault charge for dragging his then-separated wife by the hair across the street at Front andFranklin. Then, he tried to pull a responding officer to the ground by grabbing his arm. For that, Marvin pled no contest to an additional charge of disorderly conduct.

Perhaps the most significant is the conviction for sexual abuse of a minor in 1993. Marvin was convicted of abusing his stepdaughter over the course of four years. She was 9 years old when it finally stopped. Marvin was sentenced to 10-years in prison with 4-years suspended. His probation was to last 5-years. Part of Marvin’s sentence included sex offender treatment at the Hiland Mountain-Meadow Creek facility in Eagle River. But court records indicate that he stopped going two months after his entered the program. Years later, just before Marvin was scheduled to be paroled, prosecutors apparently discovered that he had not been following through on his sentence, and moved to revoke his probation. That motion was dismissed the following year after prosecutors were apparently convinced that he returned to treatment and had followed through.

Marvin is not listed in the state’s sex offender registry database since his conviction was before Alaska’s law was enacted in August of 1994.

Gardner said in court Tuesday that he could not be specific, but both short and long guns were reported found by investigators in Marvin’s residence.

Like what you just read? KTOO news stories are member supported. Support your community news source today. Donate to KTOO.
Site notifications
Update notification options
Subscribe to notifications