Anchorage Superior Court Judge Eric Aarseth has again issued a stay that halts Recall Dunleavy from gathering signatures to hold a recall election, pending a decision from the Alaska Supreme Court.
In a motion filed with Anchorage Superior Court, Recall Dunleavy responded to the arguments Alaska Attorney General Kevin Clarkson made when he opposed the application.
National recall expert Joshua Spivak says the case highlights Alaska’s unusual law.
Recall Dunleavy filed the lawsuit in Anchorage Superior Court on Tuesday against the Division of Elections and its director, Gail Fenumiai.
In a statement, a lawyer for the Recall Dunleavy campaign says they plan to challenge the decision in the courts.
The Recall Dunleavy chair says the president should stay out of state politics.
A Recall Dunleavy organizer says the campaign isn’t slowing down after the veto reversals.
“The choices that were made in the settlement open the door for Alaska Native access to the polls in a way that we have not seen before,” said attorney Natalie Landreth with the Native American Rights Fund.
Gail Fenumiai resigned abruptly on Friday at Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott’s request. She’s being replaced by Nome City Manager Josephine Bahnke.
Fenumiai had been director of elections since 2008. She’s being replaced by Nome’s city manager, Josephine Bahnke, who will start in October.