KTOO is looking for a talented and creative media producer to join our Arts & Culture team as the Juneau Afternoon Producer and Host.
Juneau Afternoon is KTOO’s daily interview program that celebrates the Art, Culture and Community life of Juneau. Guests include local and Alaska artist of all types, culture bearers, and businesses, individuals and non-profits doing community-minded work. The show balances hyper-local conversations, like talking with girl scouts about upcoming cookie sales, to conversations of depth, like an extended discussion with a master carver about their craft. The program serves as a connector, bringing dozens of local voices to the air each week, showcasing talent, and having conversations on topics that deserve some space. Of particular interest is hearing from community members who have been historically left out of the conversation.
The best applicant will be highly creative, collaborative, and curious. As the host and producer of Juneau Afternoon, you have leeway to put your own stamp on the program. This an opportunity to shine in work that is both important and fun.
Your Job is to:
- Plan, produce and host this daily radio interview program
- Book guests for interview segments
- Cultivate community voices as guests and hosts
- Work with other community producers and staff for additional show content
- Support other show hosts with pertinent information and back up
- Post to the show’s web page
- Work with the news team to extend show content on web and social media
- Work with marketing for on and off air promotion
- Manage Source Tracking for each day’s program
- Participate in the station’s on-air membership campaign
Other Opportunities Include:
- Producing arts-related stories for news
- Working across departments on other station projects
Successful candidates will possess the following skills and competencies:
- Broad understanding of and appreciation for arts, culture and music in Juneau and beyond
- Experience hosting for broadcast or similar
- Excellent writing skills
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple detail-oriented tasks
- Familiarity with Alaska Native culture and languages
- Experience building relationships with historically underrepresented communities and approaching your work with an equity lens
- Ability to collaborate well with co-workers, partner organizations and community members
- Familiarity with journalism ethics
- Ability to operate standard media equipment
- Ability to work under pressure and on deadline
The successful applicant will join our highly collaborative and creative Arts and Culture team. Your co-workers will include two other Arts, Culture and Music Producers and the department head. The team, along with the organization, is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages women and non-binary candidates; Alaska Native, Indigenous and people of color; people with disabilities and those with diverse economic and educational backgrounds to apply.
KTOO is honored to do our work on the homelands of the Lingít people, specifically, the Áak’w Kwáan L’eeneidí.
We are a well-supported, highly visible public media organization with a strong commitment to local, regional and statewide program production. We operate three public radio stations in Juneau (KTOO, KRNN and KXLL), a regional public television station (KTOO-TV), a statewide public affairs television channel (360TV) and an online news service (www.ktoo.org).
Annual Salary: $55,510
- Health insurance (90% for employee, 75% for dependents)
- 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity retirement plan (KTOO contributes 4% of your salary annually) after year 1
- Life insurance
- Annual leave (15 days by the end of year 1)
- Medical leave (12 days by the end of year 1)
- Bereavement leave (5 days)
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks at full compensation)
- 11 paid holidays + 3 “floating holidays” of your choice
- Time off to vote
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Work from home allowance
- Indigenous language classes
Questions: Contact Cheryl Snyder here: https://www.ktoo.org/contact/staff/
Deadline: Open until filled with an initial screening of applicants on 11/7/2022. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply: online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/
KTOO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.