KTOO is looking for a talented and creative media producer to join our Arts & Culture team as Arts, Culture and Music Producer. Your job is to help bring the artistic and cultural life of Alaska to audiences across all of our platforms, including radio, TV and web.
The Arts and Culture department runs two music stations, manages 50+ on-air volunteer DJ’s, hosts a daily afternoon talk show, tells stories across all platforms, trains youth in radio production, and produces live music events and recordings.
There’s a lot of flexibility in our work, and we are excited to see what you have to offer. This is an opportunity to shine in work that is both important and fun. We encourage you to apply if you have some of the following to offer the department:
- Arts and Culture story-telling experience across media platforms, including audio, video, and/or web
- Media creation that elevates marginalized voices
- Music curation, with a deep knowledge of and passion for music, especially most genres of rock
- Hosting on radio, TV, and/or podcast
- Producing on radio, TV, and/or podcast
- Volunteer host management and training
- Photography and design skills
- Podcast or other digital media project management
Responsibilities will depend on the skills the successful applicant brings to the table but may include:
- Presenting stories on Arts, Music and Culture across media platforms
- Extending the reach of content from our afternoon talk program
- Creation and production of arts, culture and music programs, series, and/or podcasts
- Production of special live broadcasts of arts, culture and music events
- Performing as on-air host for arts, culture and music programs
- Programming music on two of our radio stations
- Volunteer management
Successful candidates will possess the following skills and competencies:
- Broad understanding of and appreciation for arts, culture and music in Alaska and beyond
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate well with co-workers, partner organizations and community members
- Familiarity with Alaska Native culture and languages
- Experience successfully working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Broad understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Experience considering the impacts of your work on multiple communities, including communities of color
- Ability to work under pressure and on deadline
The successful applicant will join our highly collaborative and creative Arts and Culture team. Your co-workers will include our Program Manager, another Arts, Culture and Music Producer and the department head. The team, along with the organization, is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
KTOO is a well-supported, highly visible public media organization with a strong commitment to local, regional and statewide program production. We operate three public radio stations in Juneau (KTOO, KRNN and KXLL), a regional public television station (KTOO-TV), a statewide public affairs television channel (360TV) and an online news service (www.ktoo.org).
We’re located in Juneau, a small capital city of 31,435 people and the ancestral home of the Tlingit people. Its population is diverse, with active Native, Filipino and LGBTQ communities. Located in the heart of Southeast Alaska, Juneau is a transportation, retail and service hub with great schools, a university, medical facilities and recreational opportunities. Juneau is artsy and outdoorsy and is Alaska’s top visitor destination. We live in the heart of the Tongass National Forest, the earth’s largest remaining temperate rainforest.
Deadline: Open until filled with an initial screening of applicants on 9/8/2020. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Salary: Range D, starting in the upper 40s to mid 50s, depending on experience, plus competitive benefits including paid health insurance, retirement plan, paid leave, parental leave and holidays.
To apply: online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/
KTOO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.