KTOO Public Media, Alaska Public Media and KUCB are jointly recruiting for experienced journalists for our new Alaska journalism collaboration, funded by a major grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The partner stations are dedicating a team of reporters, editors and producers to provide in-depth coverage of energy and environment issues in Alaska for statewide and national audiences. Topics will include resource development, energy in rural areas, the state budget, the Arctic, climate change and federal-state policy issues, among others. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a high impact news capacity-building effort at a dynamic time in Alaska. These two positions, one located in Anchorage and one located in Juneau, will complement a nine member team.
The News Reporters will work closely with the Managing Editor and the content team to
- Cover specific beats and report on local, regional and state issues relating to energy and environment in Alaska
- Produce news reports for a variety of media platforms including radio, television, web and social media
- Work on special media events and audience engagement projects
Skills and Qualifications
- News reporting, writing, editing, interviewing and media production skills for broadcast, web or print (R)
- Knowledge of Alaska issues, trends and interests (P)
- Ability to present stories in multiple media formats, including digital platforms, TV and radio. (R)
- Ability to think creatively about telling stories on complex issues in new and engaging ways.
- Ability to work under pressure and on deadline. (R)
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field (P)
Anchorage-based Alaska Public Media operates APRN, the statewide news network, along with KSKA-FM and KAKM-TV. KTOO in Juneau operates the 360 North statewide public affairs channel and three public radio stations – KTOO, KRNN and KXLL. KUCB operates KUCB radio and TV in the remote community of Unalaska, on the Aleutian chain.
Deadline: Open until filled with an initial screening of applicants on May 2, 2016. Interested applicants are encouraged apply as soon as possible.
Salary: Depending on experience, plus competitive benefits including paid health insurance, retirement plan, paid leave and holidays.
To apply: Submit a letter of interest and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KTOO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Posted 4/15/2016