A double-wide mobile home is a total loss after a fire Saturday morning in Switzer Village.
In a news release, the Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire likely started near the front door but did not know the cause.
Capital City Fire/Rescue personnel arrived on scene to find heavy fire and smoke.
The occupants were not home, but investigators rescued two cats and found a dog that had died.
Fire officials did not know whether the trailer was insured.
- Behind his Nome radio station's closed doors, Father James Poole was a serial sexual predator. He abused at least 20 women and girls, according to court documents. But the last chapter in his story reveals a new twist in the Catholic abuse scandal: Poole was sent to live out his retirement years on Gonzaga University’s campus in Spokane, Washington.
- "Every summer driving through Fairbanks, I will see somebody adding this kind of retrofit to their home," said research engineer Robbin Garber-Slaght.
- A state energy specialist is encouraging those affected by last month's earthquake in Southcentral Alaska to retest their homes for radon. Radon is an odorless gas that has been linked to cancer.
- "The future will be different and we don't know how." Meet the people who are building Alaska's next generation housing.