Douglas residents lose power during fire call

No major damage or injuries reported after a Sunday evening electrical fire required Alaska Electric Light & Power to shut off electricity in Douglas.

Firefighters from four different stations responded to the call on First Street at about 9:52 p.m.

Capt. Noah Jenkins of Capital City Fire/Rescue said in a release that arriving firefighters saw smoke and a red glow from near the roof of the home. Jenkins said the weatherhead for the home’s electrical service was rusted out and fell over about two feet from the roof. The electrical transmission lines to the residence shorted and caused the service’s conduit to heat up and ignite a rubber boot.

AEL&P turned off electricity to south Douglas. Power was restored after firefighters doused the smoldering electrical service.

Damage was limited to the boot and a portion of the roof.

Like what you just read? KTOO news stories are member supported. Support your community news source today. Donate to KTOO.
Site notifications
Update notification options
Subscribe to notifications