The state health department warns that paralytic shellfish poisoning, or PSP, is ever present in locally harvested shellfish.
The Alaska Division of Public Health has confirmed a case of PSP on Gravina Island near Ketchikan.
Department spokesman Greg Wilkinson says a woman was hospitalized last week for suspected PSP after eating cockles and clams harvested on the island.
Within a few minutes she experienced numbness in her lips, tingling in fingers and toes and increasing numbness in her legs. She has since been released from the hospital.
Wilkinson says a mixture of the leftover clams and cockles returned a test result showing some of the highest saxitoxin levels ever recorded in Alaska shellfish.
PSP cannot be cooked or cleaned out of shellfish. Only commercially grown shellfish is considered safe because it is tested.
- The City and Borough of Juneau Lands Committee will discuss a proposal to give Indian Point, also known as Auke Cape, back to the Auk'w Kwaan at its Oct. 23 meeting.
- Jeremie Shaun Tinney, 39, was sentenced to 220 days in prison and fined $3,000 for failing to stop for a peace officer, driving while intoxicated, and assault during the Dec. 3, 2016, incident.
- A lawsuit filed in federal court this week seeks to remove the residency requirement for people gathering signatures for state ballot initiatives.
- For the second time in two years, a Skagway political figure has been ordered to pay a fine for incomplete financial disclosures. Assembly hopeful Dan Henry failed to disclose substantial debt on his candidate paperwork. He will still be able to run for office in the upcoming election.