A Christmas Eve fire at the Fosbee Apartments near the Governor’s Mansion caused $5,000 damage, but no injuries.
According to a release from Capital City Fire and Rescue, the fire in a second floor apartment was caused by Christmas lights. The tenant found the fire and a maintenance worker used a fire extinguisher to put it out.
Firefighters evacuated the building until the smoke cleared and to make sure there were no hotspots.
- Proponents of repealing the Affordable Care Act revealed yet another new bill Monday, with changes that appear designed to win the vote of U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, one of three Republicans who killed the last repeal bill.
- Dozens of helicopter pilots and maintenance personnel from Alaska’s Air National Guard are heading overseas to combat the Islamic State.
- The First Alaskans Institute has announced the keynote speakers for the 2017 the 34th Elders and Youth Conference, which begins Oct. 16, just ahead of the Alaska Federation of Natives in Anchorage.
- The group traveled through at least 12 time zones to reach the Russian community of Kadom, which was the home and birthplace of Saint Herman of Alaska.