Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 9)

Dr. Walter Soboleff Day bill signed into law

Dr. Walter Soboleff Day bill signed into lawAbout 100 of the late Tlingit elder’s family and friends gathered at Juneau’s Marine Park for the bill signing ceremony on Wednesday

SEARHC to receive $53 million settlement from federal goverment

SEARHC to receive $53 million settlement from federal govermentCEO Charles Clement says the settlement puts an end to any contentious issues between SEARHC and IHS

Research team sets out for Islands of the Four Mountains

Research team sets out for Islands of the Four MountainsA group of researchers left Unalaska this past weekend for a remote part of the central Aleutians: the Islands of the Four Mountains.

UA offers in-state tuition to some, bonus to Gamble

UA offers in-state tuition to some, bonus to GambleThe president of the University of Alaska has been offered a $320,000 bonus if he stays on the job until 2016.

Workshop tonight on senior housing in Juneau

Workshop tonight on senior housing in JuneauAn effort to bring an assisted living facility to the capital city is part of the workshop

Inaugural Beringia Arctic Games brings indigenous people together in Russia

Inaugural Beringia Arctic Games brings indigenous people together in RussiaNative people from Arctic nations joined Russia’s Chukchi and Inuit peoples for the first ever Beringia Arctic Games.

Eight-year-old busks for a cause

Eight-year-old busks for a cause"I said to my mom, ‘I want to go play my violin for the people that don’t have their house anymore,'" Sophia says.

Why does Southeast Alaska have a daycare ‘crisis’?

Why does Southeast Alaska have a daycare ‘crisis’?Mention daycare to pretty much any parent in Southeast Alaska, and you’ll get an earful. It’s never been easy to find daycare in the region, but just recently, it’s gotten much worse.

How squeaky wheels are driving changes in Juneau’s tree cutting policy

How squeaky wheels are driving changes in Juneau’s tree cutting policyThis isn’t a story about a scandal, but about how a few vocal and connected residents became the proverbial squeaky wheel.

Juneau turns out for downtown cleanup

Juneau turns out for downtown cleanupMore than 100 volunteers joined CBJ crews early Friday morning to help clean up the downtown area