Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 7)

Supreme Court hears arguments from State of Alaska and Central Council of Tlingit and Haida

Supreme Court hears arguments from State of Alaska and Central Council of Tlingit and HaidaAlaska’s Supreme Court was in Ketchikan this week – all five members. They were here for Supreme Court Live, during which the court hears oral arguments for a real case.

Listen: What marriage means for one Alaska same-sex couple

Listen: What marriage means for one Alaska same-sex coupleMegan Ahleman and Kelli Burkinshaw talk about their relationship and getting married.

ANSEP tripling enrollment in middle school program

ANSEP tripling enrollment in middle school programThe Alaska Native Science & Engineering Program's free Middle School Academies never had enough slots for interested students.

My Brother’s Keeper program comes to Southeast

My Brother’s Keeper program comes to SoutheastSoutheast Alaska’s Tlingit and Haida Central Council has joined My Brother’s Keeper, a nationwide effort to help young men of color succeed.

Juneau School Board eliminates budget committee, resolves activities fund deficit

Juneau School Board eliminates budget committee, resolves activities fund deficit"I’m going to miss the input. We had several community members who, over the years, have contributed a great deal to the discussion," says Barbara Thurston.

Officer credited for saving life of airport traveler

Officer credited for saving life of airport travelerA police officer was able to resuscitate a collapsed, 81-year-old man at the Juneau International Airport on Monday. A traveling companion indicated the man had heart surgery recently.

Alaska VA listening session in Juneau tonight

Alaska VA listening session in Juneau tonight"We do bring other people here to actually sit there and work out individual veteran’s concerns and resolve any challenges that they might have," Susan Yeager said.

Employee complaints, tests flag air quality in state-leased office building

Employee complaints, tests flag air quality in state-leased office buildingUp to 160 employees work in the Bill Ray Center, where air quality tests show higher than normal levels of carbon dioxide associated with “headaches, sleepiness and stagnant, stale, stuffy air.”

Juneau charities seek to avoid last-minute turkey rush

Juneau charities seek to avoid last-minute turkey rushEvery year, turkey donations arrive at the last minute. This year, food drive organizers hope Juneau residents will step up just a little bit earlier.

Juneau School District, support staff reach new contract agreement

Juneau School District, support staff reach new contract agreementThe Juneau School District and Juneau Education Support Staff have a tentative agreement on a new two-year contract.