Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 5)

For UAS freshmen, lesson on sexual consent comes first

For UAS freshmen, lesson on sexual consent comes first"Consent for holding hands is not consent for a kiss. Consent for sex once is not consent for sex twice," Lori Klein says.

As students turn 18, some have real questions for the candidates

As students turn 18, some have real questions for the candidates"I just turned 18, so now I get to vote and I get to put my voice out there," says Chloe Varner.

Art is big business in Southeast Alaska

Art is big business in Southeast AlaskaWhat are the arts worth to Southeast Alaska? A new economic study says at least $60 million a year in business.

Feds investigate University of Alaska for how it deals with sexual assault

Feds investigate University of Alaska for how it deals with sexual assaultThe University of Alaska system is on a list of 79 post-secondary institutions around the nation being investigated, but university officials aren’t sure why.

A recap of Monday’s marijuana legalization hearing

A recap of Monday’s marijuana legalization hearingLt. Gov. Mead Treadwell held a public hearing Monday in the Capitol on the marijuana legalization initiative.

The Canvas’s Tiles and Fire event brings in 135 participants

The Canvas’s Tiles and Fire event brings in 135 participantsThe Canvas is decorating its building downtown with a new community art mural made of handmade clay tiles.

Southeast cross-country teams race in Petersburg

Southeast cross-country teams race in PetersburgCross-country runners from 15 Southeast Alaska high schools competed in Petersburg over the weekend.

Juneau marks 13th anniversary of 9/11

Juneau marks 13th anniversary of 9/11About 100 Juneau residents gathered at the 9/11 monument at Rotary Park to mark the anniversary of the terrorist attacks

Tiles and Fire is about community art, access and collaboration

Tiles and Fire is about community art, access and collaborationThe Canvas’s Brandon Howard and Kathryn Kell were on a Juneau Afternoon on Thursday and spoke about the Tiles and Fire community art project.

9/11 memorial Thursday at Rotary Park

9/11 memorial Thursday at Rotary ParkTomorrow is the 13th anniversary of the Sept. 11 airplane hijackings and suicide attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon.