Home » Archives by category » Community » Alaska Native Culture
Bethel residents react to Alaska voting rights ruling

Bethel residents react to Alaska voting rights ruling

A judge ruled that the State of Alaska violated the Voting Rights Act by failing to provide translations into Native languages.
Foundation swoops in to save sacred Alaskan artifacts at auction

Foundation swoops in to save sacred Alaskan artifacts at auction

"It was suspect in some cases how the artifacts actually ended up in private hands, so to return them to the rightful owner was the…

New project seeks to boost number of Alaska Natives in STEM fields

The goal, ultimately, is to increase the number of Native tenured faculty at colleges and universities. …

Attorney: Yup’ik fishermen wrongfully convicted

Attorney: Yup’ik fishermen wrongfully convicted

Attorneys argued before the Alaska Court of Appeals in downtown Anchorage yesterday about whether Yup’ik fishermen, who fished for Chinook or king Salmon during a…

Tlingit-Haida and State sign agreement to improve relationship

Tlingit-Haida and State sign agreement to improve relationship

"We can utilize our programs with the state’s programs to deliver better services to our communities and our people," says Richard Peterson. …

Search in Archive

Select a date
Select a category
Search with Google

Categories

A partnership of language and love

A partnership of language and love

Dick Dauenhauer was teaching folklore at Alaska Methodist University in the early 1970s when he met student Nora…

Indian Village totem poles come down

Indian Village totem poles come down

The two totem poles that stood for 36 years in Juneau’s old Indian Village have been hauled off.…

Richard Dauenhauer dies at 72

Richard Dauenhauer dies at 72

Tlingit expert, linguist and award winning writer Richard Dauenhauer passed away Tuesday morning at Bartlett Regional Hospital. …

Sealaska planning significant investments in Southeast

Sealaska planning significant investments in Southeast

New Sealaska CEO Anthony Mallott says investing locally is part of the regional Native corporation’s strategy for reversing…

Tribal groups disagree about BC mine projects

Tribal groups disagree about BC mine projects

A dam failure at a British Columbia mine shows what could happen at proposed near-border mines. But some…

Page 1 of 20123Next ›Last »