Fox News is parting ways with Bill O’Reilly, who for years stood as one of cable news’ most popular hosts. The network’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, announced the move Wednesday in a statement.
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” the statement read.
The host’s top-rated program, The O’Reilly Factor, had recently suffered an exodus of advertisers amid revelations that O’Reilly, Fox News and 21st Century Fox quietly paid out roughly $13 million in settlements to five women who had accused him of sexual harassment.
O’Reilly — who has denied the claims — has been off the air since last week, when he announced he would be taking a vacation. At that time, O’Reilly said he planned to return to the program on April 24. It remains unclear whether the network will allow the host to say a farewell of his own on air.
Tucker Carlson will replace O’Reilly in the 8 p.m. ET time slot.
- Mayor Ken Koelsch, Debbie White and Mary Becker opposed it. Deputy Mayor Jerry Nankervis was on a scratchy phone connection and did not respond to the roll call to vote.
- The proposal for a 130-unit high-rise apartment building to be built over a downtown city parking lot has alarmed some community members. But city officials say there is no final plan and closure of the deal is still months away.
- “Things have to have an endpoint to it, or they have to have something that keeps directing you, telling you that you’re in the right area,” said troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters.
- The Department of the Interior announced today that 29 local Alaska governments would receive $29.7 million in Payment in Lieu of Taxes funds, or PILT.