The station had announced it would drop Alaska News Nightly and other APRN programs because of University of Alaska budget cuts. The station and its sister TV station are owned by the university.
KUAC General Manager Keith Martin says the station planned to stop paying dues and leave the network at the end of August. Now, the end date is Nov. 30.
“We weren’t looking forward to dropping APRN and we had quite a few listeners that weren’t happy about it either. It’s going to allow us additional time to review our budget and see if we could find other places to make the necessary cuts to meet our budget reduction from the university,” he says.
Martin says the university cut KUAC’s $3.2 million budget by $270,000. That figure includes an expectation that the station raise $100,000 more than in the past fiscal year.
APRN dues cost the station about $33,000 last year.
“It’s been something we’ve been able to do over the years and needed to do to help stations that are having some kind of a hardship, temporarily. So what we’ve got here is an agreement to suspend the dues payments for three months while Fairbanks, KUAC and any others that want to be part of the conversation can help generate some alternatives,” he says.
KUAC-FM broadcasts to the greater Fairbanks area, plus Nome, Tok, Eagle, Delta, Healy, Nenana and Bettles.
- For five years, Sharon Livingston has organized “Camp A”, where first-, second- and third-graders immerse themselves in traditional stories, crafts and foods. By encouraging kids to explore Unangan culture, she said they learn to see the value in cultures of all kinds.
- The National Transportation Safety Board is looking into the safety of Alaska skies during a hearing will take all today. The NTSB is looking into the wider issues surrounding the continued persistence of high numbers of accidents involving small planes and air taxis in Alaska.
- The Sun’aq Tribe won a grant to study the kind of threat that invasive crayfish in Alaska pose to subsistence resources. The award was announced Tuesday.
- After a contentious recall vote Tuesday, three embattled Haines Borough Assembly members will continue to serve out their terms. Nearly 60 percent of Haines voters rejected the allegations of official misconduct.