Parents have turned in the young male suspects involved in last month’s school vandalism case.
On the evening of July 26, a group of kids blew up cans of body spray behind Dzantik’i Heeni Middle School, broke in and smashed a vending machine.
School surveillance cameras caught kids on school grounds the night of the break-in.
“The parents of one of the kids called in and said that they thought their child was involved and brought him to the police station,” says Juneau police Lt. David Campbell.
It was the father of a 16-year-old boy. That was Friday.
“And then the next day we got a call from a second parent saying they thought their kids were involved as well and we went out and interviewed them.”
That parent has a 10- and 8-year-old. The boys named two other suspects, a 7- and 6-year-old.
Campbell says the boys all live in the same Lemon Creek area near the school. He says the three boys confirmed the group was responsible for the explosion and the break-in. Damage is estimated to be at least $1,000.
“The school has the ability to do administrative sanctions with students when things happen on the school grounds or coming to and from the school grounds. That’s regardless of whether school’s in session. And then once the case is finished, it would be sent to the juvenile justice system,” says Campbell.
Campbell says the state might not take action against four of the kids, since they’re under 12 years old. That’s the age when the state considers kids culpable.
- The partnerships are racing to clean up as much of the stuff as possible by 2020 when federal funding for the projects is scheduled to run out.
- Some Republicans in Congress say they could partly fix the federal health law by again separating people who buy insurance into two categories — sick and healthy. Critics say it won't save money.
- A federal appeals court ruled that part of the state's "Docs vs. Glocks" law limiting what doctors can ask patients about guns in the home violates the First Amendment right to free speech.
- The Washington-based political strategist has worked on several Alaska campaigns could be in line to be President Donald Trump's communications director. The Wall Street Journal and other national news outlets are reporting that Mike Dubke is about to be named to the post.