The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- August 31, 2015- Litter, fistfights, intoxicated loiterers, open container violations and sundry calls for emergency services are common at the pocket park in the shadow of the Gastineau Apartments.
- August 31, 2015- "I feel pretty strongly that the way to look at this topic is through science, and I just find it super disappointing that so many people chose to ignore or dismiss solid science," said one protestor.
- August 31, 2015- “I’ve arrived in Alaska a lot of ways and I’ve gotta say that was the most enjoyable," Walker said. "It was really fun, a good experience, a good opportunity for me to have some very meaningful discussions with the president.”
- August 31, 2015- President Barack Obama says submerged countries, abandoned cities and floods of refugees await the world unless it takes urgent action on climate change.