The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- Alaska Airlines has won government approval to buy rival Virgin America after agreeing to reduce its flight-selling partnership with American Airlines.
- As the winter solstice approaches and daylight hours are short in Alaska, public safety, medical groups and other Alaska businesses are calling attention to pedestrian safety.
- The Shirly Jackson Community Library, the former Kake Library, has been open for more than a year and seeks book donations to keep its collection fresh.
- A caller on Andrew P Hope Street requested an escort to a visitor’s car. After helping the woman safely to her vehicle, the responding officer located the bear nearby and shot at it with rubber bullets.