The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- The Sitka Sound sac roe herring fishery is in full swing. In less than a week, the fleet has caught over half of its quota. And while most crew members work on the water, spotter pilots fish for herring from the sky.
- A lot of eyes were on the U.S. House today, but, as Republican factions shuttled to the White House to negotiate, it was a day of waiting for most.
- Gov. Walker’s legislation creates a new definition for independent contractors that would determine whether employers have to pay to insure against on-the-job injuries.
- Gone are the days of throwing explosives from the air. AELP's avalanche crews trigger slides using a Daisybell, dangling about 150 feet from a helicopter. This is a cheaper -- and safer -- solution.