The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- Sealaska just released its 2015 annual report, which illustrates its financial ups and downs. Th affect more than 22,000 shareholders, who receive dividends twice a year.
- Juneau Bar Association asks Gov. Walker to consider geographic diversity before making his selection.
- Many of Alaska’s rural schools are not working. Low student performance and high teacher turnover are just two of more obvious indicators of problems in these mostly Native school districts. Those working in the schools say it’s time for radical changes.
- The festival sold out in record time this year.