The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- Dan Henry agreed to pay more than $600,000 in restitution and serve up to two years in federal prison.
- Alaska Airlines use of the phrase "Meet our Eskimo" in its rebranding campaign has sparked a controversy and new conversation about what “Eskimo” means to Alaska Natives.
- The offer is the latest salvo in a battle between lawmakers, developers and lawyers over the price legislators agreed to for the building in 2013 during a very different fiscal climate.
- The city thinks Hecla's Greens Creek mine may be responsible. The mine says its discharges in the area meet state requirements.