The Juneau Police Department says four people are in custody after an open container check in Marine Park turned into a brawl with police officers.
At 1:45 a.m. Saturday, two officers approached a group of six people in the downtown park, according to a police statement. The police asked the four men and two women to leave. The three men and one woman who stayed physically fought with the officers–one man reportedly headbutted an officer and the woman grabbed an officer’s back mid-arrest.
Alcohol was a factor.
Police identified the four people in custody as
- Jack Joseph Paine Jr., 32
- Francois P. Whitman, 32
- Charity J. Berkley, 23
- Corey L. Nashoanak, 30
Their charges include disorderly conduct, resisting/interfering with an officer and assaulting a police officer.
The officers and the four people arrested had minor injuries.
- The 750-mile Race to Alaska is back for a second year as 43 teams of sailors, rowers and paddlers prepared to set off from Port Townsend, Washington at 6 a.m. on Thursday.
- Hydrokinetic technology developed in Alaska’s rigorous conditions will help researchers design systems that can be used worldwide.
- Ketchikan’s Britta Adams braved the cold ocean and strong tides recently to swim more than 10 miles of the rocky Wrangell Narrows.
- As stock markets suffer, Alaskans consider UK referendum vote impacts.