The Alaska National Guard is responding to allegations of sexual assault within its ranks.
Brigadier General Mike Bridges, the Commander of the Alaska National Guard says there have been nearly more than two dozen alleged cases of sexual assault since 2009.
“There have been 29 cases of alleged sexual assault reported to the Alaska National Guard – and that’s with Army and/or Air National Guard,” Bridges said. “The majority of those were alleged by civilian perpetrators on guard members, whether they were in the guard then or since then.”
This week, the Anchorage Daily News reported that there was an investigation into soldiers, including some in the Alaska Army Guard’s recruiting and retention unit headquartered at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.
Alaska National Guard officials would not confirm but did not deny the report.
Bridges says the Alaska Air National Guard has a new trained sexual assault investigator, as part of a military-wide effort to get a handle on the problem.
“Across the Department of Defense the recent expanded amount of reports that were coming in across the whole Department of Defense indicated a need,” Bridges said. “And Department of Defense has now provided that and we received ours within this last year, back in the springtime.”
A statement released from the Alaska National Guard offices Tuesday said local law enforcement, such as the Anchorage Police Department of the Alaska State Troopers have been contacted in 21 cases.
Bridges says he can’t disclose how many of the cases are under investigation.
- The Senate State Affairs Committee heard public testimony from across Alaska on Senate Bill 128.
- Her pottery features a technique called Mishima that allows her to etch fine dark lines onto the surface of her porcelain pieces, marrying her background in drawing and illustration with organic three-dimensional forms.
- The City and Borough of Juneau has named candidates for two top positions: city manager and chief housing officer.
- Judge Pfiffner said he would issue a “lengthy” decision by the end of March at the earliest. He said his decision was likely only a “speed bump” on the way to the state Supreme Court.