Army claims responsibility for Stuart Creek 2 wildfire

stuart creek 2

Photo courtesy of Alaska Fire Service

The US Army Alaska yesterday released the results of two investigations into the cause of the Stuart Creek 2 Wildfire that burned more than 87,000 acres and threatened a small mushing community just outside Fairbanks this summer. Investigations conclude that artillery training caused the fire. As a result, the army will change its training procedures.

In July, Fort Wainwright Garrison Commander Colonel Ron Johnson told Two Rivers Community members the Army was responsible for igniting the Stuart Creek Two Wildfire on June 19th.

“They allowed the training to occur, it was artillery training. It did start a fire. So it was monitored, smoked, up hit it again and then when the weather changed, it just flared up and now we got what we got.”

Days after his admission, the Army back-tracked. Colonel Johnson has since announced his plans for retirement. But the Army says he’s not stepping down because of his comments. Lieutenant Colonel Allen Brown is US Army Alaska’s Chief of Public Affairs. He says the situation at the time was much too fluid to make that kind of determination.

The plume of smoke above the Stuart Creek Fire

The plume of smoke above the Stuart Creek Fire. (Photo courtesy of the Alaska Fire Service)

“We had to rule out lightning strikes, we had to rule out other human causes. But mostly we just had to look at all the data and make sure we were making the right call.”

An investigation into the cause of the blaze indicates that the Army was in fact responsible.

“I know that there’s been some frustration in the community and I think justifiable so. We live there too and we’re just as much a part of the community as anybody else and we want to do things as safely as we can and we don’t want to put anybody else unnecessarily at risk.”

The 87,000 acre fire forced the evacuation of Two Rivers and Pleasant Valley residents and their animals and livestock. One of those residents is Melinda Shore. She and her 13 sled dogs left their home twice as the blaze edged within miles of her property.

“Well, I was really appreciative of the way Colonel Johnson came forward at the meeting and then there was that little bit of tail covering – not little bit, there was considerable tail covering afterwards, but he seemed genuinely concerned about what had happened and taking responsibility for it. That’s a good thing. Certainly the Army contributes a lot to the community here and they’re an important part of the community, but this was just such a massive screw up.”

A second Army investigation reveals what John Pennell calls “systemic problems” with Army training procedures. Pennell is the Chief of Media Relations for US Army Alaska.

“During an extreme fire warning, only the USARAK G3 who’s the Chief of Operations can approve a waiver for training to continue, but in this case that was delegated down to an installation range officer instead.”

tree fire

(Photo courtesy of the Alaska Fire Service)

The Installation Range Officer was based at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson near Anchorage when the decision to continue training was made. Pennell says explosive artillery was also used during the mission.

“During an extreme fire warning, one of the munitions that the regulation tells us to not use is high explosives and those were what were used on the 19th that caused the initial ignition.”

From now one, the only person who can approve live fire training when fire danger is extreme, is Fort Wainwright’s Deputy Commanding Officer. The Army plans to acquire non-explosive artillery rounds at times when Red Flag Warnings are issued. Allen Brown says they will also build on a partnership with the University of Alaska Fairbanks to use Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to monitor fire prone areas.

“Obviously, the fire and the results and everything adds a lot more validity to expanding that relationship.”

The Army typically plans training mission at least a year in advance. Brown says new procedures will apply for any training set to take place over the Yukon Training Area next summer.

Recent headlines

  • Acting Alaska U.S. Attorney Bryan Schroder speaks at a press conference in Anchorage on March 23, 2017.

    Veteran prosecutor nominated to be the US attorney in Alaska

    Trump nominated Bryan Schroder for the post, the acting head of the Alaska district since Karen Loeffler and 45 other U.S. attorneys appointed by former President Barack Obama were asked to resign after Trump's election.
  • The Alaska Capitol Building in Juneau on June 6, 2017. (Photo by Jeremy Hsieh/KTOO)

    Alaska lawmakers to reconvene on capital budget next week

    A Senate spokesman says the third special session is likely to start Thursday, July 27, in Juneau, and it's expected to last one or two days. The House and Senate indicated an agreement had been reached.
  • A robotic camera provides for wildlife tracking across a meadow near the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center for Wild Alaska Live. (Photo by Mikko Wilson/KTOO)

    Video: Behind the scenes of Wild Alaska Live

    The BBC and PBS are teaming up on a special series of live, prime-time nature programs showcasing Alaska’s wildlife to tens of millions of people around the world. Cutting edge technology and a lot of luck goes into the high stakes production.
  • Greens Creek Mine

    Juneau Assembly mining task force to add members

    The three-member Juneau Assembly mining task force is seeking to add two planning commissioners and two members of the public. The group is studying a proposal to streamline the city's mining review process.