Kenyan Crisis Continues, Death Toll May Rise
Kenyan police officers take cover outside the Westgate mall in Nairobi on Monday. Simon Maina /AFP/Getty Images
Although the Kenyan government claims to be in control of the situation and in the “last stages of the security operation,” more shots have been heard at the upscale mall in Nairobi where dozens of people have been killed since Saturday’s attack by Islamist militants.
It’s wasn’t clear as morning turned to afternoon Tuesday in Kenya whether the four-day-old crisis was finally almost over or likely to drag on.
There was also ominous news from The Associated Press, which reports being told that “Nairobi’s city morgue is preparing for the arrival of a large number of bodies of people killed in the Westgate Mall terrorist attack.”
The wire service adds that:
“Morgue employees were dressed in smocks early Tuesday, though no bodies had been delivered. The official death toll from the mall attack stood at 62. Most of those bodies were already taken to the morgue, either directly or from hospitals.”
From Nairobi, NPR’s Gregory Warner said on Morning Edition that it seems almost certain that the death toll will be rising. He also reported that authorities believe a few American and British nationals may have been among the al-Shabab militants responsible for the attack.
Related report on Morning Edition: Militant Group Al-Shabab Evolves With Help From Al-Qaida.
We’ll update with news from Nairobi as it comes in. The local time in the Kenyan capital is seven hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast.