Living King’s dream
About a hundred people gathered at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Juneau Monday for the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration.
All of the speakers talked about the strides our society has taken in terms of race relations since King’s death 45 years ago. They also spoke of the need to keep fighting for equality.
Speakers and performers included:
- Shirley Workman, Mistress of Ceremonies
- Alaska Youth Choir, Missouri Smyth – Director
- Juneau Senator Dennis Egan
- Sally Smith, Office U.S. Senator Mark Begich
- Mike Tagaban, Thunderbird House, Auke Village
- Geny Evangelista-Del Rosario, Filipino Community Advocate
- Glenn Mitchell, “I Have a Dream” reading
- Salissa Thole, “My Country Tis of Thee”
- Daymond Geary, Breakthrough Church
- Lt. Mickey Sanders, USCG
- Richard Green, Glacier Valley Church of God
- Sherry Patterson, President Juneau Black Awareness Association
KTOO’s Casey Kelly produced this audio postcard.