– Begins Wednesday, January 23 – Learn about the early days of a young state. Hear the stories of people who worked toward Alaska statehood and participated in the Alaska constitutional convention… in their own words. This ten-part series is a production of 360 North. Funding was provided by the Alaska Humanities Forum, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Alaska Committee.
Read original article
- About 4,500 acres of heavily-logged forest will return to wilderness under a deal involving the federal government and a Southeast Alaska Native corporation.
- Andy Larson, 79, and Matthew Hanes, 32, hoisted from S/V Rafiki about 170 miles south of Sand Point early Wednesday.
- The company that sent the first big luxury cruise ship through U.S. and Canadian Arctic waters is preparing the Crystal Serenity for a repeat performance in 2017. But one expert believes this year’s historic transit doesn’t mean the Arctic is likely to become a hotspot for global shipping anytime soon.
- Federal fisheries oversight required in some busy Alaska salmon fisheries