Derelict ship causes ammonia scare

A derelict processing ship caused an ammonia scare in Kodiak.

The Kodiak Daily Mirror says Kodiak firefighters were joined by Coast Guard firefighters in responding to a report Monday that the ship was leaking anhydrous ammonia. The leak was reported by two crewmen living aboard the 169-foot Pacific Producer.

Anhydrous ammonia is commonly used as a refrigerant aboard fishing vessels and in fish processing plants. It can cause severe lung damage if inhaled. High concentrations can be fatal.

Firefighters boarded the ship and shut all the valves connected to the ship’s ammonia system.

Subsequent tests found no ammonia circulating in the air.




Support great content like this by becoming a member. Sign Up

Playing Now: