Three Arkansas teenagers were in court again Thursday for a hearing on motions by defense attorneys to try each defendant separately for the death of Kevin Thornton of Juneau.
Defense attorneys also argued to suppress statements given to investigators during interviews with the teens as well as a detention center officer’s statement that two of the boys allegedly laughed when they were told Thornton had died.
Seventh Judicial District Court Judge Ed Koon took both motions under advisement and gave attorneys five days to file briefs supporting their motions. He gave prosecutors two additional days to answer defense briefs.
Judge Koon on Wednesday denied a motion to transfer the case to juvenile court.
The three boys were ages 16 and 17 in August 2011 when they were charged in adult criminal court for second degree murder and violent group activity in connection with the case.
Now Richard Whybark is 18, Timothy Norwood will be 18 next month, and Clinton Ross is 17. With Koon’s ruling, there is no question that they will be tried as adults.
Thornton, a 2010 Thunder Mountain High School graduate, died one year ago today (on July 27, 2011). Thornton had been visiting friends in the Malvern area and was walking along a road when he was allegedly assaulted by the boys.
Steve Good of the Hot Spring County Now! online news service reports that Judge Koon has set a three-day trial in Malvern circuit court, beginning August 29.
- Project coordinator Katharine Heumann said the decision came after hearing criticism of the proposal from Travel Juneau and members of the community.
- Wednesday is the first day of school for about 4,700 students across Juneau.
- Eight buoy tenders and their crews from Alaska, British Columbia, and the Pacific Northwest are in Juneau this week for the annual Buoy Tender Roundup and Olympics.
- The commercial harvest for Dungeness crab in Southeast Alaska this summer was the lowest in several decades. But it might not be a complete bust. The harvest numbers only tell part of the story.