KTOO, the Juneau Empire and Capital City Weekly each took home several awards at the annual Alaska Press Club conference held this weekend in Anchorage.
In the radio division, stories produced by the KTOO News Team won First Place for Best Government or Political Reporting and Best Reporting on Crime or Courts. KTOO reports also took Second Place in the Crime or Courts category, and Third Place for Best Sports Reporting.
The Empire got First Place for Best Reporting on Crime or Courts and Best Arts Coverage in the print division. Empire Sports Editor Klas Stolpe won Best Sports Columnist, and Managing Editor John Moses won the Leslie Ann Murray Award for Best Editorial or Commentary in the all-media division. The Empire and Capital City Weekly also received several awards for Second and Third Place stories.
The awards are for pieces produced during the 2011 calendar year.
A link to all of the winners can be found at alaskapressclub.com.
KTOO stories that won the 2012 Alaska Press Club awards:
- First Place Best Government or Political Reporting for “State releases first batch of Palin emails” by Casey Kelly.
- First Place Best Reporting on Crime or Courts for “Sitka CG aviator faces uncertain future after hearing” by Matt Miller.
- Second Place Best Reporting on Crime or Courts for “Kevin Thornton death unfolds” by Rosemarie Alexander.
- Third Place Best Sports Reporting for “Gold Medal tournament sparks rivalries, respect” by Casey Kelly.
- Two memos, signed by Secretary John Kelly, greatly expand the number of immigrants prioritized for removal. The rules do not affect "Dreamers" — people brought to the U.S. illegally as children.
- When traveling into the wilderness, the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center recommends travelers take a personal locator with them.
- The subsistence harvest is scheduled to open April 2 and run through August 31. The fall hunt is set to begin in September.
- The Bethel City Manager decided to change the accident policy to give city truck drivers who are found to be negligent tickets and drug tests.