KRNN congratulates this year’s Juneau Arts and Humanities Council’s “Mayor’s Awards for the Arts” recipients:
• Artist: Dan Hopson, musician, classical guitarist, and music teacher.
• Arts in Education: The Elementary Art Specialist team of Nancy Lehnhart and Mimi Walker Medenica.
• Business Leadership in the Arts: Alaskan Brewing Company.
• Innovative Application of the Arts: Lucid Reverie.
• Lifetime Achievement in the Arts: Guy “Buddy” Tabor, musician, singer/songwriter.
• Patron of the Arts: Bruce Simonson
• Volunteer for the Arts: Bing Carillo
Awards will be handed out at the Sunday Wearable Arts show at Centennial Hall on February 12, 2012. More Information.
- Polls show the presidential race is unusually tight in Alaska. Juneau residents attending two election events shared their opinions on the polls and the candidates.
- A new weather station installed on Mt. Ripinsky last month is now relaying data on weather conditions that could help hikers, climbers and skiers prepare for bad weather -- especially avalanches.
- Kids attending the Homer Folk School learn everything from making apple juice to building kayaks.
- Bethel has made more than a quarter of a million dollars from its 12 percent sales tax on alcohol since legal alcohol sales began in April.