KRNN congratulates this year’s Juneau Arts and Humanities Council’s “Mayor’s Awards for the Arts” recipients:
• Artist: Dan Hopson, musician, classical guitarist, and music teacher.
• Arts in Education: The Elementary Art Specialist team of Nancy Lehnhart and Mimi Walker Medenica.
• Business Leadership in the Arts: Alaskan Brewing Company.
• Innovative Application of the Arts: Lucid Reverie.
• Lifetime Achievement in the Arts: Guy “Buddy” Tabor, musician, singer/songwriter.
• Patron of the Arts: Bruce Simonson
• Volunteer for the Arts: Bing Carillo
Awards will be handed out at the Sunday Wearable Arts show at Centennial Hall on February 12, 2012. More Information.
- So far, the Juneau School District has enrolled about 230 more students than it expected. If the higher enrollment remains true in October, the district could get enough additional state funding to cover a near $200,000 deficit.
- Juneau-based nonprofit, Southeast Alaska Land Trust, was denied its property tax exemption earlier this year. Now the Assembly will take another look.
- "A lot of ice experts, including myself, thought we were headed for a record year minimum," said Hajo Eicken, a professor at the International Arctic Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.