KRNN congratulates this year’s Juneau Arts and Humanities Council’s “Mayor’s Awards for the Arts” recipients:
• Artist: Dan Hopson, musician, classical guitarist, and music teacher.
• Arts in Education: The Elementary Art Specialist team of Nancy Lehnhart and Mimi Walker Medenica.
• Business Leadership in the Arts: Alaskan Brewing Company.
• Innovative Application of the Arts: Lucid Reverie.
• Lifetime Achievement in the Arts: Guy “Buddy” Tabor, musician, singer/songwriter.
• Patron of the Arts: Bruce Simonson
• Volunteer for the Arts: Bing Carillo
Awards will be handed out at the Sunday Wearable Arts show at Centennial Hall on February 12, 2012. More Information.
- Mayor Ken Koelsch, Debbie White and Mary Becker opposed it. Deputy Mayor Jerry Nankervis was on a scratchy phone connection and did not respond to the roll call to vote.
- The proposal for a 130-unit high-rise apartment building to be built over a downtown city parking lot has alarmed some community members. But city officials say there is no final plan and closure of the deal is still months away.
- “Things have to have an endpoint to it, or they have to have something that keeps directing you, telling you that you’re in the right area,” said troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters.
- The Department of the Interior announced today that 29 local Alaska governments would receive $29.7 million in Payment in Lieu of Taxes funds, or PILT.